Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All's quiet on the Match front

I'm two full months into my three-month subscription. I'm ready to cancel this thing and call it quits.

I actually went on a last minute date the other night with a guy who just moved to my town. He's 24 and works in sports a college nearby. He has a great sense of humor and can keep the conversation moving. He's also the first guy to ask in detail about what I do for a living. Put into perspective just how selfish (or indifferent) all the others have been toward me on our first dates.

I like Sportsman but there's just no spark. And now, nearly eight (? seven? ten?) dates later, I'm left dumbfounded and disappointed that I haven't found one damn guy who's been dashing enough to ignite that spark.

Oldieman has now been reduced to a time consumer. He might be going away to New England for business this weekend and asked if I wanted to go. The idea of "going away" with someone makes my skin crawl.

The more guys I date - and the more involved I get with with the ones that stick around (namely, Oldieman) - the more I want to run away and stay single for the rest of my life. Or for at least a good portion of my twenties. I feel like I'm going to be impossible to have a serious relationship with after all this Match fluff.

I might be a commitment-phobe at this point. I might be playing that game of keeping my guard up so I don't get hurt. Or I just might not genuinely like these dudes I'm seeing.

Why?

I'm not overly picky. I have reachable standards. And I've tried to go into every first date with an open mind. So why the failure again?

Kman was the only guy I had the possibility of feeling a spark with - but then again, I feel like his charm and all-American, drop-dead-gorgeous good looks clouded my perception.

My dear friend suggests that I should live a single life completely free of dating. At this point, I'm leaning more toward this option.

I hate feeling disenchanted. But I think I'm no longer in the Match mindset...

1 comment: